Sunday, August 9, 2009

Shiputzim

"NMF #7, [insert heavy Israeli accent here], don't wo-orry, y'hiyeh b'seder, okey? Will be done, no problem."

Yeah, that's what they all say. Doing work here in Israel is a bit of three things: patience, exhaustion, and endless repetitions of y'hiyeh b'seder (it'll be okay). This happens even if you are doing minimal work, which I am. Minimal as in approximately 64 small things, which is better than two or three large things.

Be prepared if you are doing work here in Israel for the work to take approximately 2 months longer than expected. Be prepared for endless phone conversations that take approximately two minutes, and leave you with the feeling of desperation that the work you contracted for is never going to get done.

Be prepared for times to suddenly switch on you; that is, if they give you a time at all. (Make sure to ask for one- it pins them down to some number at least.) Be prepared for unexpected costs, unexpected visits, and expected things that never seem to occur.

But despite it all, you've got a Jewish workman looking at you and telling you, Hashem Yaazor (G-d will help). They sit down and toast you a l'chaim on your new apartment. They tell you about their family, about their lives, and they inquire tactfully after you and yours.

So, I'll forgive them everything, because when it comes down to it- they are so nice and kind while doing it all, that you just can't help but murmur "Y'hiyeh B'seder" along with them.

5 comments:

itsagift said...

B'Hatzlacha!
(Sounds like you can use it!)

smb said...

Trust is what helps us to keep going and accomplish

hatzlacha

inkstainedhands said...

I suppose that is why despite all the frustration it involves, dealing with Israelis amuses me. (I'm in Israel for a couple of weeks now.)

nmf #7 said...

Itsagift- You're telling me. But thanks!

Lvnsm27- Trust is true...just I wish they would set times for things. The whole "Achar HaTzharaim" (in the afternoon) isn't quite working for me.
Thanks!

Inkstainedhands- Totally true. I have got to have a better sense of humor about these things.

inkstainedhands said...

Well, I don't know if I would have a sense of humor about it if I had to put up with it on a permanent basis, but since I'm just here for a couple of weeks from NY, I can laugh and bring the stories home.