Sunday, March 22, 2009

Kiruv- Friend or Foe?

You know how random events one after the other seem to coalesce into a pattern? Well, that's what happened to me last night.
Mr. NMF and I were discussing hilchos loshon hara, and the halacha we learnt was that if there is a group of known loshon hara speakers (baalei loshon hara) then one has no heter (allowance) to go and speak with them, as you know that you will probably end up hearing loshon hara.

So, the quip that came up was- what about inside a kiruv yeshiva? And, then that sparked a whole debate on how for kiruv it would be allowed or not, or whether or not tinokim sh'nishba (those who do not know because they grew up that way) count....
It's a puzzling question for those who deal in Kiruv. After all, Kiruv has to be done- but how far?

It's interesting to me because my parents are BTs, and they were helped immensely by kiruv- Project Seed specifically, and if not for those people, I definitely would not be where I am today. So, there needs to be some kiruv done. And Kol HaKavod to those that do it.

Then, as I check my emails- an awesome movie comes up- all about Kiruv, and how anyone can do it- at least if they can do it without schvitzing (sweating)!
Hope you enjoy- here's the LINK. I can't seem to embed this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg that video is hysterically funny!! thanks for the link

nmf #7 said...

Tembow- Thanks! I enjoyed it too!