Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Arrgh. Y'Hiyeh B'Seder

Man. I wish there was an American equivalent of Y'hiyeh B'Seder. Because, heavens above, we need it. I mean, is there a colloquial English word or words that express that utter nonchalance and relaxation that Israelis exude when saying those words?

It's like nothing can ever go wrong, ever. I mean- it'll all be okay. Always okay, all the time. That should be the new Israeli radio station. "Always Okay, all the time. Y'hiyeh B'Seder."

"Geveret, no worry. It will be there on time, y'hiyeh b'seder."
"Geveret, no worry. The bomb shelter is only four blocks away. Y'hiyeh B'Seder."
"Geveret, Y'hiyeh B'Seder. I know that there is a nuclear missile heading towards us, but no worry. We will be fine."

Just today I had a contractor- who I've called an estimation of about 300 times- that's a rough estimation, not an exaggeration, and told about my deadline- November 30th- say to me, "Don't worry Geveret. Y'hiyeh B'Seder. All will be done before Chanukah."

When informed that Chanukah comes after November 30th, I got a "Don't worry. Y'hiyeh B'Seder."

Traffic? Y'hiyeh B'Seder. Terrorist attacks? Same response. How about international relations? "They all crazy. Y'hiyeh B'Seder."

I'm telling you- either I'm nuts, or they are. But one thing's for sure. Not everything is Y'hiyeh B'Seder.

6 comments:

Benji Lovitt said...

This is exactly why you need a "Yiyeh B'seder" Global Nuclear Meltdown shirt!
http://www.printfection.com/benjilovitt/Yiyeh-Beseder-Global-Nuclear-Meltdown-T-Shirt/_p_4488665

Or how about a "Yiyeh B'seder" It's Not You, It's Me shirt?
http://www.printfection.com/benjilovitt/Yiyeh-Bseder-Dumped-T-Shirt/_p_4488720

Prices are crazy I know....they will come down, stay tuned!

If you have any questions, you can get them answered here:
http://www.whatwarzone.com/2008/10/idiots-guide-to-yiyeh-bseder.html

Don't worry...yiyeh b'seder!

nmf #7 said...

Benji- LOL. Now I know I'm not the only one out there who thinks this way. By the way, I love your blog!

halfshared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
halfshared said...

As someone that's very into Israeli music, I can say that the common thread between all their songs, is that they are full of Emuna and Bitachon. This "Yihiyeh B'seder" attitude is what they sing about in practically every song I've heard. These people live it, breathe it, sing it and truly believe it. I think it's wonderful. They understand that not everything is going to work out the way they want it to or planned it, but that ultimately, whatever happens is for the good. They're not just saying it and I think it's beautiful. Yeah, I totally understand that it can be frustrating when they are so maddeningly laid back but that's what makes them so special.

I do hope though that everything works out for on in the right time...

Anonymous said...

"No worries", or do you have to be Australian to say that?

nmf #7 said...

Halfshared- Very true- I never thought about it like that. But it still irks me. Ah well- maybe I don't have the right mindset or enough bitachon to really appreciate the subtlies in it.

Tesyaa- I like that one! Thanks.