Sunday, November 1, 2009

It Was SUCH a Chavaya

Cue the typical seminary girl's voice, "It was SUCH a chavaya, you have NO idea..."

Interesting. I was once a sem girl, believe it or not, and yes, I did my share of searching for 'chavayot' or 'experiences' that I could write home about. You know the type, like visiting Tzfas and getting followed by someone who thinks he's Mashiach, or heading to Kever Rochel on her yartzheit and getting squished (note to self: I am never doing that again.), or going to the Kotel for Birkat Kohanim and getting squished yet again (note #2: second note #1.) .

But am I, the person I am now, a chavaya? An experience? It seems so.

I hosted two guests for Shabbos that I had no clue who they were. A neighbor, who happens to be one of the sweetest and kindest families I know, offered an invitation to two girls who he never met before in his life, and they took him up on it. So, the neighbor called me to see if I had sleeping space for sem girls, which I did, as my guest room was free.

When I asked them what brought them to my neighborhood, and to that neighbor in general, she responded, "Didn't you go on chavayot when you were in sem?"

Well. It seems I am now 'an experience". Something to write home about. Frankly, I didn't know I, or my neighbors were that interesting. I don't know whether to be insulted or flattered.

Either way, they had a nice time over Shabbos, and I and NBD both have colds/flu. So there you go. I should put out advertising: "Nice guest room available in a family that's a definite chavaya. A must see experience to tell all your friends about when you get back."

6 comments:

Rabbi Michael Tzadok said...

My wife and I have been one for a number of years. Somehow we seemed to have fallen off the Sem girl contact list this year, but there you have it. If they have your number you will probably by the end of the year have Sem girls calling weekly to stay by you.

I think many times they simply want to see how other families live. Each family has its own quirks and customs(some of us more unique than others). It seems as though, in a way, they are shopping around for what they hope may be their future derech with whatever husband they choose. Never had that so clear as when we had a Sem girl ask at the table, "So what kind of guy do I have to marry if I want him to do all this stuff?"

nmf #7 said...

Mekubal- Yeah, but you're a Kabbalist, and you live in the Old City. I would say you are a 'chavaya' to visit :D

Me, I'm just a regular old joe.

And I'm not on the lists yet...but I'm sure I will be soon enough, if more of them keep coming.

That actually sounds very plausible- the shopping for a husband thing.

Rabbi Michael Tzadok said...

Lived in the Old City... have moved to a different neighborhood since, and was still a Chavaya...

Anonymous said...

They need to seriously upgrade their idea of what a chavaya is. Granted, your neighborhood is a bit far out, but still...

Mekubal, if you're feeling a lack of sem girls, I can send you my lil sis...

Rabbi Michael Tzadok said...

Bad4

My wife said send her on over. You have some of our contact details I believe... let's make it happen.

nmf #7 said...

Bad4- I know. But I also spent a Shabbos in my neighborhood when I was in sem- and I thought it was interesting and a chavaya. But I went to very interesting people, who kind of made the experience for me. I'm personally not as interesting.