Friday, January 23, 2009

Erev Shabbos #9- Preparation and Relaxation

Ahh, Shabbos. So glad that time of the week is here again.
The weather outside is a bit gloomy, but it looks like rain, so that's a wonderful bracha.
Isn't there something special about rain on Friday night?

I woke up very early today- and started my Shabbos preparations immediately. I'm one of those who never does something by ones.
I do it by twos, triples, quadruples, and sometimes even quintuples. That's why my freezer is bursting at the seams.

But it makes Erev Shabbos so much more relaxing, especially on an early Shabbos. I pull out two ready made kugels, make a double batch of chicken and fish fresh for Shabbos, and make a gigantic pot of soup that usually can get divided into 3 after Shabbos dinner.

This also helps for the unexpected guest phenomenon, or the desperate neighbor phenomenon- I always have enough food on hand, even for 20 people or more. Of course, I would have to restock my freezer afterwards.

Then, my floor gets sponjaed, and I finally have time to relax.

When I first got married, I hadn't gotten the hang of this yet. I mean, I knew how to cook well, thank G-d, and I wasn't the "patchke" type, who needs to have a triple layer cake every Shabbos to feel accomplished. But, although I started early on Friday, I always ended up rushing till the last minute- making me feel frazzled and hectic.

Now, I have menuchas hanefesh (peace of mind/heart) and am able to put my feet up for a couple of seconds, or at least as long as it takes to write a post :)

Have a wonderful Shabbos, everyone- and I hope your Erev Shabbos is relaxing as well!

Wishing luck to Bad4S and Bas~Melech on their run this Sunday for Chai Lifeline- good luck, and congrats on all the money you've raised for such a worthy cause!

No comments: