Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Good Friends

Living here in Israel, it's often the case that when a good friend has a simcha, I'm not there to participate. I just had a friend get married- and not only was I not there for her wedding, but I was not there for her engagement, vort, or anything else. And, she plans to continue to live in the US- so I probably won't get to be part of her life too much.

One of my closest friends just recently got engaged. Of course, I knew this was coming for quite a while- and was already discussing how I could wrangle attending her wedding. Which will probably be in the US, since she plans to live there as well.

I'm so happy for her, and I wish her so many brachos- but at the same time, I miss being there. I miss sharing personally in her simcha and being on the spot. I can help from overseas, make plans, give advice, but it's not the same as actually being there.

It's a pleasure to live in Israel- and I'm so grateful for the zechus (privilege). But I do miss out on people's lives, on seeing their newest baby, or celebrating with their families. I even miss out on my own family's life- bar mitzvahs, birthdays, etc.

But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Despite this, living here is the best thing I ever could have hoped for. And it isn't like it was back in the 'olden days', when a telephone call (as reported by Rebbitzen Ruchoma Shain) used to cost 60 dollars, if they could find a telephone to call on. We have technology, which allows us to keep in touch with everyone. Programs like Skype abound, and with the prevalence of American/European numbers in Israel, calling home from Israel
would register as a local call on the caller ID.

So I miss out on a simcha. That's unfortunate, but part of life. And, I hope that they will come here to celebrate their simchos- come and stay, come and visit. Some family members have even considered making their simchos here, just by virtue of the fact that they now have family living in this special land. (We'll see when the first actually comes.)

But for now, I'm content. And happy that Klal Yisroel is experiencing so many wonderful occasions at this time.

4 comments:

Scraps said...

I missed that when I was in seminary; there were a number of older friends of mine who got engaged/married that year, and I really missed being there for their simchas. However, now I have an adorable nephew living in Israel, and my sister doesn't send pictures anywhere close to often enough...

nmf #7 said...

Scraps- I empathize, I really do. Although, you could harass your sister, like my relatives do, and force those of us in Israel to actually plug in our cameras to our computers. :)

chanie said...

Ditto. I made aliya, and now I miss all the weddings. But it's my choice, sooo....
And despite that, I still wouldn't trade living in Israel.

nmf #7 said...

Chanie- thanks for stopping by.
No kiddding- I'm not trading in living here for it- just bemoaning the fact...
Any way you know to convince friends to get married here? :)